At the University of Worcester we are passionate about netball. The Vitality Netball Super League franchise Severn Stars is owned by the University of Worcester and UWNetball is the largest female society at the University. There are opportunities for students to become involved in elite, development, and recreational netball, whether that is as a player, coach, umpire, performance support team or volunteer.
- The University of Worcester have a Director of Netball, Louisa-Jayne Walker. Louisa has a wealth of netball coaching and experience as former Wales U21 Head Coach, and current English Universities Head Coach. She coaches the UWNetball 1st team and supervises the structured quality training for all teams.
- All 5 BUCS teams have their own designated Head Coach, and ‘Rec Net’ (recreational netball sessions) have dedicated coaching staff to give everybody the chance to improve their netball skills in fun and engaging sessions. The coaching team ensure all sessions are tailored and inclusive.
- 1st and 2nd UWNetball BUCS teams are ‘performance teams’ at the University of Worcester. This means they receive extra support from the School of Sport and Exercise including; sports therapy and massage, strength and conditioning and video performance analysis.
- All 5 BUCS teams have access to sports therapy treatment and massage prior to games on a Wednesday. All 5 BUCS teams have designated student sports therapists who attend both their home and away games on Wednesdays.
- UWNetball provide additional competitive opportunities for performance players with annual friendly fixtures against elite teams such as England U17s, Wales U17s, AoC (Association of Colleges) England National Team, Severn Stars NPL Squads and Millfield School.
- The University of Worcester is the owner of the Severn Stars Netball Super League franchise. Several UWNetball members train or play for Severn Stars, including their NPL squads and senior VNSL teams.
- Excellent indoor netball facilities (4 courts) including the University Arena which has a track record of hosting international netball events (Netball Europe, VNSL final) and the home venue for the Severn Stars Super League team.
- All 5 BUCS teams, development netball and Rec Net training sessions and matches take place at the University Arena. Polar pools at the University of Worcester Arena can be booked by students to aid recovery post training / post matches.
- Volunteering and work placement opportunities and educational course provision in both coaching and umpiring.
- Partnership with Worcester Netball Club and Worcester County Netball Association, and several of our players play for local Netball clubs as well as University Netball.
The club also offers opportunities to meet people through socials each Wednesday, where members come together to have fun away from the court and celebrate game days. The society is a great group to be part of, bringing a strong support network to your time at the University of Worcester, coming together on game days to support its’ members. The society reaches members via social media, updating players on upcoming socials and ensuring everyone is informed with current UWNetball news. Additionally, the club is also highly involved in fundraising and charity tournaments where lots of fun can be had whilst contributing to a great cause.
For further information on the University of Worcester netball programme see our netball flyer or contact:
Louisa Jayne Walker
Director of Netball