Skip to content


Am I entitled to NHS treatment as an international student?

The NHS (National Health Service) is the UK's state health service which provides treatment for UK residents through a wide range of health care services. Some services are free and some have to be paid for. For detailed information about your elegibility for healthcare and free medical treatment, please read carefully the report provided on UKCISA website- Keeping Healthy.

In the UK doctors are called General Practitioners (GPs) and they are usually based in Health care Centres called ‘Surgeries’. If you have an accident or need urgent treatment, you should go to an Accident and Emergency unit in a hospital. You can call an ambulance by dialling 999

Local Surgeries

Nearest surgeries to St John’s Campus:

Henwick Halt Medical Centre
1 Ingles Drive
Telephone: 01905 422 883

St John’s House Surgery
299 Bromyard Rd, Worcester WR2 5FB
Telephone: 01905 421 688

Nearest surgeries to Halls of Residence in the City Centre:

Haresfield Surgery
37 Newtown Road – Tel. 0845 450 1924

Spring Gardens Group Medical Practice
Spring Gardens
Telephone: 01905 744 400

Farrier House Surgery
Farrier Street - register and book online.
Telephone: 01905 879 100


If you are an international student and are studying for more than 6 months, you can register at these surgeries. They will also accept students who have their own medical insurance.

There are several local surgeries, dentists and hospitals in Worcester. Please find the details below.


Worcestershire Royal Hospital – includes Accident and Emergency unit
Charles Hastings Way, Newtown Road
Telephone: 01905 763 333
Further surgeries and hospitals can be found on

Details of local dentists can be found at
If you need help in finding a NHS dentist in the Worcester area, telephone: 01905 760 111 or (out of office hours): 0845 609 0669