University of Worcester and Worcester Wolves Basketball Development Coach
School of Sport and Exercise Science
Professional and Technical Support Staff
tel: 01905 542927
Dean joined the School of Sport and Exercise Science in 2018 after working as Basketball Head Coach at the University of Wolverhampton. In addition to this role he was also Head Coach of the Men’s National Basketball League (NBL) Division 3 team as part of the West Bromwich Albion Foundation.
Whilst working with the Foundation, Dean developed Basketball players who gained scholarships to the USA, earned trials with National Teams, played in the Elite Academy Basketball League (EABL) and Academy Basketball League (ABL).
Dean currently coaches the University of Worcester Men’s British Universities and Colleges Sport (BUCS) Second Team who in 2019 won the Midlands 2A Conference. He also oversaw the successful season that was had by the whole programme including:
- Men’s First Team winning promotion back to BUCs Premier League, winning the Trophy final and the Midlands 1A League title.
- Men’s Third Team reaching the finals of the Midlands Cup and third in Midlands 2A.
Dean is passionate about the development of Basketball at the University of Worcester and wants to provide as many opportunities for students within the Basketball programme to develop and improve as people and players.
- Basketball England Level 3 Coach Award (2019)
- OCR Level 3 Mentor (2005)
- Safeguarding Children (2017) FA
- Emergency First Aid (2017) FA
- Designated Safeguarding Lead (2017) Griffin
Scope of Role at University
Overseeing University of Worcester Basketball Programme.
- Coach of the BUCS First team, oversee the coaching programme for the Second, Third and Development team.
- Organise referees for all BUCs games.
- Liaise with lecturers and course leaders to create placement opportunities for students (not just ports students).
- Liaise with the School of Sport and Exercise Science staff to offer courses to upskill students with coaching, refereeing and table officiating courses.
- Organise the Basketball budget with the support of the Committee.
- Ensure that the University of Worcester Basketball Committees for both Men’s and Women’s Basketball Clubs/Societies are representative of their membership group and work to meet their needs.
- Attract sponsorship.
- Establish relationships with local schools and Basketball Clubs as a way to develop Basketball within the community
- Recruit elite level Basketball players to the University of Worcester, through visits to FE institutions, hosting tournaments and open days.
Dean is an Assistant Coach with our British Basketball League franchise Worcester Wolves. Dean is also the Camp Director for our Annual Worcester Wolves Valencia Basket International Basketball Camp, which gives players from the UK and Spain the opportunity to learn from coaches from different countries. Throughout the season Dean co-ordinates Basketball camps during school half term holidays.