Skip to content

Caring for others

Making time for your studies

A large number of mature students, and particularly part-time students, are parents. Some others care for another family member or friend who, because of age, illness, or disability, cannot manage on their own. Parents and other carers may need to arrange help to allow time for their studies.

Childcare at Worcester

The University of Worcester has an excellent Ofsted-registered nursery on campus. It provides care and education for children aged from 3 months to 5 years.  If you visit us at an Open Day , you can take a look around the facilities.

Students with children may be entitled to Child Tax Credit, a Childcare Grant and Housing Benefit.For more information, you can visit

The Worcestershire Early Help Hub provides free and impartial advice to families with children aged 0 to 19 years of age. You can contact them on 01905 822666 or by emailing

Caring for other family members or friends

If you care for an adult family member or friend, you may wish to talk to your local authority Social Services department. They are required by Law to carry out a ‘carer assessment’, which looks at your needs as a carer, as well as the needs of the person you care for.

If your needs change as a result of becoming a student (full-time or part-time), they will take this into account. Services such as respite care (a break from caring, for example around exam times) may be possible.