The University promotes sustainable travel for students, staff and visitors.
Transport-related carbon emissions are the second largest contribution to the University’s total carbon footprint. Many travel carbon savings have already been achieved. The Travel Plan has identified many new activities to help us achieve the following targets. We are working with an EU funded campus sustainable mobility project U Mob and have this agreed action plan to help decarbonise travel. There are further details in our Mobility Plan
Transport and travel targets
Transport SMART targets for 2020/21:
- 5% reduction tCO2e emissions from staff and students’ commuting to University on a daily basis by 2030 from a baseline 2018/19 of 8,190 tCO2e
Fleet and Business Travel targets
- 100% reduction in the tCO2e emissions from business travel by hire car 2030 from a baseline 2018/19 of 49.5 tCO2e
- 100% reduction in the tCO2e emissions from fleet vehicles by 2030 from a baseline 20018/19 of 42.4 tCO2e
How are we going to achieve these targets?
- Conduct student and staff travel surveys to review the impact of Covid 19 on travel habits in 2021 - 2022.
- With Worcester City Council pilot to investigate the feasibility of extending Woo Bikes into an employer based citywide bike share scheme by March 2022.
- As far as is possible with Covid 19 revise the car park management plan to realise the potential for mode share shift, as a considerable proportion of staff and students live within walking or cycling distance of a University campus. Publish revised plan by September 2022.
- Continue to report on travel plan initiatives via the EU funded UMOB project to share learning from European universities on good sustainable travel habits for students and staff.
- Pilot new destination EV charge points in various campus locations to test reliability and range of payment mechanisms by July 2022.
- Review optimum date when to reintroduce car share promotion to students and staff by Easter 2022
Woo Bike share
We have Woo Bike share so you can have worry free cycling for a year. For £45 you gain annual membership, get a free cycle helmet and free set of lights. You can hire pedal and e bikes as many times as you like for the one payment.
This map shows the location of all the covered secure cycle storage and all the cycle hoops and bike self service station.
Cycle to Work Scheme
The cycle to work scheme is open to all University employees, on one year or longer contracts, providing a tax exemption to staff for the hire of cycles and cyclist safety equipment, up to the value of £2,000 and includes electric bikes (e-bikes). For further details please see the Cycle2Work Guidance or contact HR@worc.ac.uk
First Bus promotions
For further information please see the First Worcestershire website.
Two special tickets are available exclusively for University of Worcester students and staff;
- The 10 Journey tickets allow travel on any First bus service in the Worcester City area for £14. The 10 journey special is only available as an mTicket purchased through First bus app and requires a University of Worcester email address.
- FirstSemester tickets allow unlimited travel on all First local bus services in the Worcester City. Semester tickets cost £115 and can be purchased via the First Bus App.
Standard academic year ticket – start 30th August until 31st July.