Rebecca Foster MBE
Senior Lecturer for Adapted Physical Education
tel: 01905 542183
Rebecca has been teaching PE predominantly in the North of England for over 20 years.Rebecca was Head of PE of one of the first six Sports Colleges in the Country. After 7 years of teaching she backpacked the World and did some temporary teaching in Australia and South Africa. After her year out Rebecca continued to teach in Yorkshire, managing one of the largest Sports Partnerships in the Country. Rebecca then went on to become a Teacher Fellow at Leeds Beckett University, where she taught Initial Teacher Training programmes for Secondary and Primary trainees.
Rebecca competed for our country in the Heptathlon (when she was much younger!). She now currently volunteers as Team Manager for UK Deaf Athletics which takes her all over the World.
As a further accolade, Rebecca has been awarded an MBE in recognition for her services to inclusive sport and supporting young people to achieve their potential.
- Masters in Physical Education, Leeds Beckett University (2012)
- Post Graduate Certificate in Higher Education (Teaching & Learning), Leeds Beckett University (2012)
- B.Ed. (Hons) Physical Education and Personal and Social Health Education, Leeds Beckett University (1994)
- University of Worcester Leading Teaching Award 2016
- Fellow of the Higher Education Academy (FHEA)
- British Sign Language (Level 1 & 2)
Teaching & Research
Rebecca has taught across all year groups, but her current modules are:
- SPRT1030 Introduction to Physical Education
- SPRT1017 Fundamentals of Athletics in schools
- SPRT1027 Adapted Physical Activity, Sport & Disability
- SPRT2040 Learning & Teaching in Physical Education
- SPRT2011 School Based Learning
- SPRT2042 Teaching Special Education Needs & Disability Physical Education in schools
- SPRT3001 Independent Study supervisor
- Adapted Physical Education
- Deaf Sport
- Deaf Lifestyle
- Snoezelen Sports Club
Foster, R. (2016) Hearing the Deaf Perspective of Physical Education. Physical Education Matters, 11 (1), 34-37.
Foster, R. (2013) Is there an Olympic Legacy for Deaf Athletes? Physical Education Matters. 8 (2), 16-18.
Flintoff, A., Foster, R. and Wystawnoha, S. (2011) Promoting and sustaining high quality physical education and school sport through school sport partnerships. European Physical Education Review, 17 (1), 341-351
Barlow S. and Foster, R. (2011) School swimming and teacher training - a new approach to quality provision. Primary Physical Education Matters, 6 (2), 18-1.
Athletics Coach and Assistant Team Manager to Deaf athletes at Deaflympics and European Championships.
National Trainer for Sainsburys Inclusive Kids for All initiative.
Nominated for 'Coach of the Year' 2014 by Deaf Sports Personality of the Year Awards.