Lecturer in Further Education and Skills
Institute of Education
Secondary and Post Compulsory Education
Mike is Course Coordinator for the Diploma in Education and Training taught at Halesowen College and a Course Tutor on the Further Education PGCE.
Mike qualified as a teacher in 2006 and has worked in both Secondary and Further Education. He was an FE Sport Lecturer in the West Midlands for 12 years (from 2010) where he taught Sport at Levels 1 through to 5, as well as having a host of other CPD roles. He has been a Learning Technology Champion, a Professional Development Manager, and a Quality Development Manager, working with teaching staff to improve their practice.
A teaching and learning enthusiast, Mike has presented at numerous practitioner conferences over the past few years, most notably having been invited to speak at the relaunch of the East Midlands Learning and Skills Research Network.
Mike completed his Masters by Research at the University of Worcester in 2020, for which he investigated the embodiment of Christian sportsmen in the UK. He is still fascinated by the sociology and theology of the body and will talk about it whenever he has the chance.
In recent years, Mike has also developed a student-focussed YouTube channel, which aims to provide clarity on key topics in Sport and PE curricula.
- MRes Socio-cultural studies of Sport and Exercise, University of Worcester, 2020
- PGCE QTS Secondary Geography (QTS), University of Leicester, 2006
- BSc Geography, PE and Sport Science (2:1 honours), Loughborough University, 2003
Learn Upon Training completed
- Safer Recruitment
- Introduction to the Prevent Duty as it affects Higher Education
- Safeguarding Essentials
Teaching & Research
- LLQT 1415 Teaching, Learning and Assessment
- PGFE 4002 Teaching, Learning and Assessment in Further Education
- PGFE 4004 Curriculum, Research-informed Practice and Professionalism in FE
Member - Society for Education and Training
Tyler, M. (2022) Powerful Routines. FE Showcase 2022, University of Derby, 20 May 2022
Tyler, M. (2019) Gaps; Or, How I Am Working to Overcome Cumulative Dysfluency, University of Derby, 12 April 2019
Tyler, M. & Gibbons, T. (2019) Redeeming the habitus: a Christian sociological approach to embodiment in sport, Sport in Society, 22(2),239-51, DOI:10.1080/17430437.2017.1360574
BTEC Associate National Examiner (Level 3 Sport: Anatomy & Physiology)