PGCE course leader
tel: 01905 542371
Dan is the PGCE Course Leader at the University of Worcester. He joined the School of Education in 2016. He lectures in Primary English, PE and outdoor education. He also works as a school experience tutor, link tutor and personal academic tutor as part of Primary ITT.
Before joining the University, Dan worked in primary schools in Herefordshire and Worcestershire. As both subject leader and phase leader, he has led teams and helped develop curriculum initiatives. As well as this, he set up an educational training business, supporting schools with the teaching of reading and writing in both key stage 1 and 2 alongside providing some training in local nurseries.
Dan has previously set up a thriving private tutoring business and has also worked as a sport coach in primary schools. He has interests in music, sport and literature and can often be found watching London Irish in Reading as he is a long-time season ticket holder.
- Post Graduate Certificate in Higher Education – University of Worcester (2019)
- PGCE in Primary Education - University of the West of England (2003)
- BA (Hons) in Geography and Education - University of the West of England (2002)
Teaching & Research
- Primary English
- Teaching reading and writing in the primary classroom
- Outdoor Education
- Social justice
- Inclusive practice
- Effective writing pedagogy
- Using the outdoor environment to enhance the teaching of English
- The impact of phonics on reading progress
- Creative writing
- Fellow of the Higher Education Academy
- United Kingdom Literacy Association
- Chartered College of Teaching
Carroll, J, Hughes D. and Williams, L. (2019) ‘Geographical journeys through timeless tales’, Primary Geography, Number 100, pp. 18-19.
Hughes, D. (2018) 'Plan for Evidence by Generating Fantastic Writing Opportunities, Teach Primary, Issue 12.6, pp. 80-81 Available at Teachwire.net https://www.teachwire.net/news/plan-for-evidence-by-generating-fantastic-writing-opportunities
Hughes, D. (2018) 'Sir, did you write this?', Teach Primary, Issue 12.2, pp. 100-102.Available at Teachwire.net Struggling to Find a Model Text for Teaching, Reading and Writing?
Hughes, D. (2019) Exploring shared writing: Teacher and pupil perspectives. UKLA
55th International Conference 2019, 12th-14th July 2019, Sheffield Hallam University.