We are working towards making the work environment healthier by making all our campuses smoke free, except for designated smoking areas on the St Johnís Campus.
We hope that all colleagues and students will respect those who wish to breathe more easily by ensuring that they only smoke in these areas.
Student Breathe Easier Advisors will be on hand to ensure that any smokers are fully aware of the benefits of not smoking as well as where the designated areas are, plus offering information regarding Smoking Cessation Services run locally and available for free to all staff and students.
Stopping smoking has an immediate on your health. After just:
- 20 minutes - your blood pressure and pulse return to normal
- 24 hours - carbon monoxide is eliminated from your body
- 48 hours - there is no nicotine left in your body. Your sense of taste and smell improve
- 3 days - your breathing becomes easier and energy levels increase
- 2-12 weeks - your circulation improves and exercising can be easier.
Guidelines for tobacco smokers
Please only smoke:
- in designated areas on campus
- off campus in public areas at least 5m away from any doorway or campus entrance
Please do not smoke when you are walking onto or around campus, or on the way to a designated smoking area.
Guidelines for e-cigarette smokers
- inside University buildings
- within 5m of University buildings or campus entrances
If you want help to give up smoking
Try to spend more time with friends who donít smoke.
Avoid thinking about smoking. The less you think about it, the less you will crave it. A crave can last for up to five minutes - think about what you can do when this craving hits - eat an apple, chew some gum, do something active.
Make a list of the reasons you want to give up smoking, e.g. the money you will save and what you will buy instead - help motivate yourself to keep going
Try nicotine replacement therapy. You can buy this over the counter or get it for free through local smoking cessation services or your GP
Contact Student Services for help and advice
For further help and advice visit the NHS Stop Smoking pages
Reporting smoking on campus away from the designated area
If you want to report smoking on campus away from the designated area, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org
Please include the following information in your email:
- Which campus? (e.g. City or St John's)
- Whereabouts on the campus (e.g. area behind Bredon)
- Day of week
- Approximate time seen
Please note we are not seeking the names of individuals, even when known.
All information submitted is in confidence and it is not our intention to send a follow-up email.