Course Leader for MSc European Basketball Coaching Science and Senior Lecturer in Sports Coaching Basketball
Institute of Sport & Exercise Science
tel: 01905 855264
Alexandru Radu joined the Institute of Sport and Exercise Science in May 2010 after lecturing at Northumbria University, where he gained an MSc in Sport Management UK/European and the APT Award (Applauding and Promoting Teaching). As well as teaching undergraduate and postgraduate students, Alex is currently the Head Coach of Wales U18 Men National Team and also the Assistant Coach of the professional basketball team the Worcester Wolves. The books titled “Basketball: A Guide to Skills, Techniques and Tactics” and “Basketball Coaching. Putting Theory into Practice” are two of his key publications.
- MSc Sport Management UK/European – Northumbria University, Newcastle, UK (2003-2005)
- Degree in Journalism and Mass Communication – “Al.I.Cuza” University, Iasi, Romania (1997-2001)
- Degree in Physical Education and Sports – “Al.I. Cuza” University, Iasi, Romania (1993-1997)
- England Basketball Level 3 Coach Award
- Romanian Senior Basketball Coach
- Alex is also a qualified Level 2 Table Official and a Basketball Referee (England Basketball)
- Teaching & Research
Teaching & Research
Alex contributes to the following university wide committees:
- Member of the International Advisory Group (jointly responsible for facilitating international exchanges for both staff and students and helping with international recruitment)
- Member of the Recruitment Action Group
- Link Tutor for the partnership between University of Worcester and Lithuanian Sports University (from Kaunas, Lithuania).
- Sports Coaching
- Sport Management
Alex currently teaches the following modules:
- SPRT 1029 Foundations of Sports Development and the Sport Experience (Yr. 1 students).
- SPRT 1024 Principles of Sports Coaching (Yr. 1 students).
- SPRT 2036 Multi Sports (Yr. 2 students).
- SPRT 2013 Sport Event Operations (Yr. 2 students).
- SPRT 3036 Sport Event Marketing (Yr. 3 students).
- SPRT 3028 International Development and Volunteering (Yr. 3 students).
- MSPO 4022 European Basketball Coaching Concepts (Master students).
- MSPO 4027 Questioning Techniques and Tactics (Master students).
- Sports Event Management
- Olympism and the Olympic movement
- Sport and mass media
- Erasmus scholarships in 2012, 2013 and 2014 – teaching Sports Management and coaching basketball at Lithuanian Sports University from Kaunas (Lithuania)
- Coaching basketball at various Basketball camps in three different countries (Lithuania, Romania and England)
- Professional Bodies
- England Basketball
- Romanian National School of Coaches (Moldova Region - Basketball)
- Basketball Wales
Radu, A. (2015) Basketball Coaching. Putting Theory into Practice. Bloomsbury: London, UK.
Radu, A., Abalasei, B. (2012) English-Romanian Dictionary (Sport section). Bucharest – Litera Printing Press.
Radu, A. (2010) Basketball. A Guide to Skills, Techniques and Tactics, Crowood Press, Marlborough, UK.
Radu, A., Stirbu, C. (2001) Streetball – Simple, Efficient and Funny, Venus Publishing House, Iasi.
Papers, conference and other presentations:
Stanway, B., Peters, D., Radu, A., Beeching, K. & Belsey, J. (2014). Winning Big – United States of America in the 2012 London Olympics. Presented at the World Congress of Performance Analysis in Sport X, Croatia. 25-28th July.
Teaching Year 3 Sport Management students from Lithuanian Academy of Physical Education (LAPE) – lecture entitled “Structure. Strategy/Creating a direction for the sport organisation” as part of an ERASMUS Teaching exchange. April 2012.
Radu, A. (2009) An Evaluation of Olympism Activities of the Romanian Olympic Academy. Published in the volume titled “XIII Olympic Congress – Copenhagen 2009 – Contributions”, International Olympic Committee – Lausanne, Switzerland.
Masterman, G., Radu, A., Graney, N. (2009) Is There Sponsorship Fit? An Investigation of 2008 Shanghai Tennis Masters. Paper presented at ATINER 9th International Conference on Sports: Economic, Management, Marketing and Social Aspects, 8th - 11th May 2009, Athens, Greece.
Teaching at the “Role of Sport in European Union” Summer School (for Master students) at Jyvaskyla University in Jyvaskyla (Finland) as part of an ERASMUS Teaching Exchange. 26th – 31st May 2009.
Radu, A., Radu, L. (2008) An Evaluation of Olympism Activities of Romanian Olympic Academy Iasi Branch. Poster presented at EASM (European Association of Sport Management) Conference in Heidelberg (Germany), 10-14th September 2008.
Partington, S., Allin, L., Radu, A. (2008) Assessment Bottle Necks – A Reality or a State of Mind? Probing the Perception Gap Between Students and Staff. Paper presented at Northumbria University Conference 2008, Newcastle. APT Award winning project.
Radu, A., Radu, L. (2008) Info Guide – Olympic Sports Contact Details. Booklet published at Demiurg Publishing House, Iasi, Romania.
Blakey, P.A., Bruce, C., Cook, P., Futre, D., Macfadyen, G., Porteous, J., & Radu, A. (2008) The Management of Sport SME’s: What’s the position? ATINER Conference, Athens, 11-14th August 2008.
Emery, P., Radu, A. (2007) Conceptual Paper: An exploration of time and its management for sport event managers. Managing Leisure (Special Issue: Events and Festivals – Current Trends and Issues), 12 (2/3), 204-222.
Radu, A., Fishwick, L. (2007) Enquiring Minds: Integrating Study Skills into Directed Learning Tasks. Paper presented at Northumbria University Conference, Marriott Hotel, Newcastle. APT Award winning project.
Radu, A., Emery, P. (2005) It’s Now Time to Manage Time. Paper presented (and published in the Book of Abstracts) at the 13th Congress of the European Association for Sport Management, Gateshead, UK.
Radu A. (2004) Enthusiasm for Belgium Children 2004 – How to Increase Sport Participation Amongst Youngsters in Belgium. Runner-up presentation in the International Students Presentation Competition during the “12th European Student Seminar for Sport Management (Students Awards)”, EASM Conference Brussels, Belgium.
- External Responsibilities
• Wales Under 18 Men National Team Head Coach (Sept. 2016 to present).
• England Basketball Tutor (delivering Level 1 and Level 2 Coach Award).
• Assistant Coach of Worcester Wolves / professional basketball team that competes in British Basketball League (from Sept. 2010 to present).
• Head Coach of University Men 2nd team (BUCS ) / Assistant Coach of University Men 1st team (from Sept. 2010 to present).
• Assistant Coach Romania Senior Women National Team (March 2014 to August 2015).
• Assistant Coach Wales Senior Men National Team (2015-2016 season).
• Head Coach of Worcester Wolves Ladies and Director of Women Basketball programme at University of Worcester (between 2010-2011 and 2014-2015 seasons).
• Translator at International Basketball Coaching Clinic – Klaipeda (Lithuania) in July 2011 (clinic organised by the Lithuanian Coaches Association).
• Head Coach of “Al. I. Cuza” University of Iasi /Romania (between 1998-2001).