Dr Allain Bueno
Senior Lecturer in Human Biology and Human Nutrition
tel: 01905 54 2525
Dr Allain Bueno joined the University of Worcester in January 2012, after 4 years of Post-doctoral experience at the Institute of Brain Chemistry and Human Nutrition in London, working with Prof Michael Angus Crawford, one of the pioneers in fatty acid metabolism and brain composition.
Whilst in London, Dr Bueno focused on biochemical and neurophysiological hallmarks of disorders that are known to affect the central nervous system, such as Down syndrome, Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder, pre-eclampsia and neural disorders induced by obesity.
Dr Bueno investigated in his PhD the effects of dietary fats on adipose tissue metabolism, and how different types of fat can influence disorders such as inflammation and diabetes. In his MPhil Dr Bueno investigated the impact of surgical removal of fat pads on metabolic adaptations in obesity induced by diet and by neurochemical malfunctioning.
Dr Bueno graduated as a Biomedical Scientist from Paulista School of Medicine, Sao Paulo Federal University in Brazil. He holds strong experience in clinical sciences, having worked and taught in a leading Tertiary Referral Hospital. His current area of research includes the biochemistry of dietary fats and their role in oxidative stress, brain metabolism and function.
Dr Bueno is a Scientific Advisor of the Food Standards Agency.
Teaching & Research
BIOS 2106 Systems Physiology I (Cardiovascular and Respiratory Physiology)
BIOS 3108 Systems Physiology II (Neurophysiology)
BIOS 3042 Diseases of the Ageing Brain
BIOS3404 Neuroendocrine Physiology and Biochemistry
Dr Bueno is a founding member of the Worcester Biomedical Research Group (WBRG) and is currently involved in several research projects:
- The effects of plant polyphenols and essential fatty acid supplementation on cell membrane phospholipid composition in obese rats and in cell models of neural degeneration
- Associations between high fat diet intake, oestrogen replacement therapies and depressive-like behavioural symptoms in rats
- Associations between fatty acid intake and biomarkers of cardiovascular health in pre-menopausal women
- The impact of a group intervention to improve nutritional intake and promote behaviour change for women who have had treatment for breast cancer
PhD Project Ideas
Prof Eliane Beraldi Ribeiro – Department of Physiology, Sao Paulo Federal University, Brazil
Dr Cristiane de Oliveira – Mayo Clinic, Phoenix, Arizona, USA
Prof Michael Crawford, PhD, FSB, FRCPath – Faculty of Medicine, Imperial College London
Dr Monica Telles – Department of Biological Sciences, Sao Paulo Federal University, Brazil
Dr Rosangela Passos de Jesus – Department of Nutrition Sciences, Bahia Federal University, Brazil
Dr Pedro Gonzalez Muniesa – Department of Nutrition, Food Science and Physiology, University of Navarra, Spain
Dr Joao Felipe Mota – Faculty of Nutrition, Goias Federal University, Brazil
Prof Dan Linetzky Waitzberg – School of Medicine, University of Sao Paulo, Brazil
Dr Tatiana Rosado Rosenstock – Santa Casa Faculty of Medical Sciences, Sao Paulo, Brazil.
- Sakamoto FL, Ribeiro RMP, Bueno AA, Santos HO. Psychotropic effects of L-theanine and its clinical properties: From the management of anxiety and stress to a potential use in schizophrenia Pharmacol Res. 2019 Sep;147:104395.
- Genario R, Morello E, Bueno AA, Santos HO. The usefulness of melatonin in the field of obstetrics and gynecology. Pharmacol Res. 2019 Jul 2;147:104337
- Hirata BKS, Cruz MM, de Sá RDCC, Farias TSM, Machado MMF, Bueno AA, Alonso-Vale MIC, Telles MM. Potential Anti-obesogenic Effects of Ginkgo biloba Observed in Epididymal White Adipose Tissue of Obese Rats. Front Endocrinol (Lausanne). 2019 May 10;10:284
- Santos HO, Bueno AA, Mota JF. The effect of artichoke on lipid profile: A review of possible mechanisms of action. Pharmacological Research 2018 Nov; 137:170-178
- de Jesus RP, Mota JF, González-Muniesa P, Waitzberg DL, Telles MM, Bueno A. Plant Polyphenols in Obesity and Obesity-Associated Metabolic Disorders: A Narrative Review of Resveratrol and Flavonoids Upon the Molecular Basis of Inflammation. Journal of Obesity and Nutritional Disorders. 2018 Sep 28;2018(129)
- Wadley AJ, Holliday A, Morgan RG, Heesom KJ, Aldred S, Peters DM, Bueno AA, Coles SJ1. Preliminary evidence of reductive stress in human cytotoxic T-cells following exercise. J Appl Physiol (1985). 2018 Apr 12
- Chao A, Waitzberg D, de Jesus RP, Bueno AA, Kha V, Allen K, Kappus M, Medici V. Malnutrition and Nutritional Support in Alcoholic Liver Disease: a Review. Curr Gastroenterol Rep. 2016 Dec;18(12):65.
- Dornellas AP, Watanabe RL, Pimentel GD, Boldarine VT, Nascimento CM, Oyama LM, Ghebremeskel K, Wang Y, Bueno AA, Ribeiro EB. Deleterious effects of lard-enriched diet on tissues fatty acids composition and hypothalamic insulin actions. Prostaglandins Leukot Essent Fatty Acids. 2015 Dec;102-103:21-9.
- Bueno AA, Brand A, Neville MM, Lehane C, Brierley N, Crawford MA. Erythrocyte phospholipid molecular species and fatty acids of Down syndrome children compared with non-affected siblings. Br J Nutr. 2014 Nov 24:1-10.
- Gomes AC, Bueno AA, de Souza RG, Mota JF. Gut microbiota, probiotics and diabetes. Nutr J. 2014 Jun 17;13(1):60
- Gow RV, Vallee-Tourangeau F, Crawford MA, Taylor E, Ghebremeskel K, Bueno AA, Hibbeln JR, Sumich A, Rubia K. Omega-3 fatty acids are inversely related to callous and unemotional traits in adolescent boys with attention deficit hyperactivity disorder. Prostaglandins Leukot Essent Fatty Acids. 2013 Jun;88(6):411-8.
- Gow RV, Sumich A, Vallee-Tourangeau F, Angus Crawford M, Ghebremeskel K, Bueno AA, Hibbeln JR, Taylor E, Wilson DA, Rubia K. Omega-3 fatty acids are related to abnormal emotion processing in adolescent boys with attention deficit hyperactivity disorder. Prostaglandins Leukot Essent Fatty Acids. 2013 Jun;88(6):419-29.
- Ionescu N, Freitas C, Bueno AA. Perturbations in Blood Phosphatidylcholine and Sphingomyelin Fatty Acid Composition in a Sample Population of Cigarette Smokers. Ind J Clin Biochem. 2013 Oct;28(4):361-7.
- Bueno AA, Ghebremeskel K, Bakheit KH, Elbashir MI, Adam I. Dimethyl acetals, an indirect marker of the endogenous antioxidant plasmalogen level, are reduced in blood lipids of Sudanese pre-eclamptic subjects whose background diet is high in carbohydrate. J Obstet Gynaecol. 2012 Apr;32(3):241-6.
- Estadella D, Oyama LM, Bueno AA, Habitante CA, Souza GI, Ribeiro EB, Motoyama CS, Oller do Nascimento CM. A palatable hyperlipidic diet causes obesity and affects brain glucose metabolism in rats. Lipids Health Dis. 2011 Sep 23;10:168.
- Bueno AA, Habitante CA, Oyama LM, Estadella D, Ribeiro EB, Oller do Nascimento CM. White adipose tissue re-growth after partial lipectomy in high fat diet induced obese wistar rats. J Physiol Sci. 2011 Jan;61(1):55-63.
- Carvalho CR, Bueno AA, Mattos AM, Biz C, de Oliveira C, Pisani LP, Ribeiro EB, do Nascimento CM, Oyama LM. Fructose alters adiponectin, haptoglobin and angiotensinogen gene expression in 3T3-L1 adipocytes. Nutr Res. 2010 Sep;30(9):644-9.
- Outcome of the Public consultation on the Draft Opinion on Dietary Reference Values for fats. Scientific Report of EFSA – European Food Safety Authority. Signatory. EFSA Journal 2010; 8(5):1507
- Habitante CA, Oyama LM, Bueno AA, Ribeiro EB, Estadella D, Dâmaso AR, Nascimento CM. Exercise training in rats impairs the replenishment of white adipose tissue after partial lipectomy. Eur J Appl Physiol. 2010 Jun;109(3):371-7.
- Bueno AA, Oyama LM, de Macedo Motoyama CS, da Silva Biz CR, Silveira VL, Ribeiro EB, Oller do Nascimento CM. Long chain saturated fatty acids increase haptoglobin gene expression in C57BL/6J mice adipose tissue and 3T3-L1 cells. Eur J Nutr. 2010 Jun;49(4):235-41.
- EU nutrition rule will deceive consumers. Letters to the Editor - The Times. Signatory. Published 30 September 2009.
- Bueno AA, Nascimento CMO, Hunter L, Trayhurn P. Lauric acid increases IL-6 and decreases adiponectin gene expression in human SGBS adipocytes. International Journal of Obesity, Nature Publishing Group. 2008; 32:S58.
- Pisani LP, Oller do Nascimento CM, Bueno AA, Biz C, Albuquerque KT, Ribeiro EB, Oyama LM. Hydrogenated fat diet intake during pregnancy and lactation modifies the PAI-1 gene expression in white adipose tissue of offspring in adult life. Lipids Health Dis. 2008 Apr 4;7:13.
- Pisani LP, Oyama LM, Bueno AA, Biz C, Albuquerque KT, Ribeiro EB, Oller do Nascimento CM. Hydrogenated fat intake during pregnancy and lactation modifies serum lipid profile and adipokine mRNA in 21-day-old rats. Nutrition. 2008 Mar;24(3):255-61.
- Bueno AA, Oyama LM, de Oliveira C, Pisani LP, Ribeiro EB, Silveira VL, Oller do Nascimento CM. Effects of different fatty acids and dietary lipids on adiponectin gene expression in 3T3-L1 cells and C57BL/6J mice adipose tissue. Pflugers Arch – European Journal of Physiology 2008 Jan;455(4):701-9.
- De Oliveira C, Bueno AA, Oyama LM, Do Nascimento CO. Effects of fatty acids and glucocorticoids on the adiponectin gene expression. Annals of Nutrition and Metabolism, Karger Allschwilerstrasse Switzerland. 2007; 51:226
- Oller Do Nascimento C; Biz C; Oliveira C; Bueno AA, Mattos A, Oyama L. PAI-1 adipose tissue gene expression in obesity may be linked with thyroid hormones. International Journal of Obesity, Nature Publishing Group. 2007; 31:S66.
- Oller Do Nascimento C, Pisani L, Bueno AA, Albuquerque K, Carvalho C, Tavares do Carmo MG. Intake of trans fatty acid-rich hydrogenated fat diet during pregnancy and lactation altered litter metabolism and adiponectin gene expression. International Journal of Obesity, Nature Publishing Group. 2007; 31:S139.
- Bueno AA, Oyama LM, Estadella D, Habitante CA, Bernardes BS, Ribeiro EB, Oller Do Nascimento CM. Lipid metabolism of monosodium glutamate obese rats after partial removal of adipose tissue. Physiol Res. 2005;54(1):57-65.
- Estadella D, Oyama LM, Habitante CA, Bernardes BSS, Bueno AA, do Nascimento CO. Palatable hyperlipidic diet causes obesity and affects rats' brain glucose metabolism. International Journal of Obesity, Nature Publishing Group. 2004; 28: S80
- Bueno AA, Oyama LM, Ribeiro EB, Nascimento CMO. Efeito da lipectomia sobre o metabolism do tecido adiposo de ratos obesos. Jornal da Paulista. 2004; 176(1): 11-15.
- Bueno AA, Nascimento CMO. Efeito da lipectomia sobre o metabolismo do tecido adiposo de ratos tornados obesos por dieta de cafeteria. Revista Ciencia Hoje. 2003 Sep; 197(1): 50-51. ISSN: 0101-8515
- Naghettini AV, Nogueira PC, Juliano M, Bueno AA, Casarini DE, de Abreu Carvalhaes JT. Tubular urinary enzymes in acute post-infectious glomerulonephritis. Pediatr Nephrol. 2001 Sep;16(9):719-22
Chapters of Books:
- Capítulo 165: Flavonóides e Resveratrol na prevenção e tratamento de doenças crônicas não transmissíveis (Chapter 165: Flavonoids and resveratrol in the prevention and treatment of non-communicable chronic diseases). In: Nutrição Oral, Enteral e Parenteral na Prática Clínica, 5th Dan L Waitzberg (Waitzberg D). 3296 pages. Editora Atheneu Publishers, Sao Paulo, Brazil. ISBN: 9788538807933
- Funcao Endocrina do Tecido Adiposo (The Endocrine Function of Adipose Tissue). In: Obesidade. Ana Damaso (Damaso AR). Medsi Medical Publishers, Sao Paulo, Brazil. ISBN: 8571993521.
- O Pancreas Endocrino (The Endocrine Pancreas). In: Fisiologia Endocrina. Eliane Beraldi Ribeiro (Ribeiro EB). Editora Manole Publishers, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil. ISBN: 9788520426609
- O Papel Secretor do Tecido Adiposo (The Endocrine Role of the Adipose Tissue). In: Fisiologia Endocrina. Eliane Beraldi Ribeiro (Ribeiro EB). Editora Manole Publishers, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil. ISBN: 9788520426609
Posters and oral presentations:
- 26th European Congress on Obesity, Glasgow, Scotland. 28 Apr - 1 May 2019.
- Pharm R&D 2019 – International Conference on Pharm Science – Paris, France. 4-6 Mar 2019.
- The Lancet Summit: Inflammation and Immunity in Disorders of the Brain and Mind. November 2018. Barcelona, Spain. Oct 2018
- 25th European Congress on Obesity. Vienna, Austria. May 2018.
- IV Ibero-American Symposium on Clinical Nutrition & 25th Brazilian Congress on Nutrition. Brasilia, Brazil. April 2018.
- XIII International Congress on Obesity. Vancouver, Canada. May 2016.
- 2nd Research on Ageing Forum. Keele University, UK. April 2014
- 29th Ernst Klenk Symposium in Molecular Medicine – Systems Approaches in Translational Medicine. Cologne, Germany. October 2013
- 20th European Congress on Obesity. Liverpool, UK. May 2013
- 27th Ernst Klenk Symposium in Molecular Medicine – Lipid metabolic diseases. Cologne, Germany. Oct 2011. Special participation of Prof Joseph Goldstein and Prof Michael Brown (1985 Nobel Prize winners) presenting the Ernst Klenk Lecture ‘Surviving Starvation: Essential Role of the Ghrelin-Growth Hormone Axis’.
- 9th Scientific Meeting of the International Society for the Study of Fatty Acids and Lipids (ISSFAL 2010), Maastricht, the Netherlands. 29 May – 2 Jun 2010
- Fatty Acids and Neurodevelopmental Disorders Meeting (FAND 2009). Magdalen College, University of Oxford, Oxford, UK .
- 10th World Down Syndrome Congress, Dublin, Ireland. 19-22 Aug 2009
- 16th European Congress on Obesity. Geneva, Switzerland. 14–17 May 2008
- 15th European Congress on Obesity. Budapest, Hungary. 22-25 April 2007
- 14th Latin American Congress on Nutrition (SLAN 2006). Florianopolis, Brazil. 12-16 Nov 2006
- 10th International Congress on Obesity. Sydney, Australia. 3-8 Sep 2006
- 41st Congress of the Brazilian Physiological Society, 2006. Ribeirao Preto, Brazil.
- 14th European Congress on Obesity. Athens, Greece. 1-4 Jun 2005
- 13th European Congress on Obesity. Prague, Czech Republic. 26-29 May 2004.
- 21st Conference of the Latin American Association of Physiological Sciences (ALACF 2003). Ribeirao Preto, Brazil.
- 9th International Congress on Obesity. Sao Paulo, Brazil. 24-29 Aug 2002
- 17th International Congress of Nutrition. Vienna, Austria. 27-31 Aug 2001
- 11th International Congress of Endocrinology. Sydney, Australia. 29 Oct - 2 Nov 2000
Advanced Course in Dietary Assessment Methods, The University of Aberdeen. Endorsed by the Association for Nutrition and by the British Dietetic Association
Fellow of the Higher Education Academy
PGCert Learning and teaching in Higher Education (University of Worcester, 2014).
Phlebotomy certification. Ashford and St. Peter's Hospitals NHS Trust, London
PhD. Nutrition (Sao Paulo Federal University, 2007). Visiting Research Student, Neuroendocrine & Obesity Biology Research Unit, University of Liverpool
MPhil. Nutritional Physiology (Sao Paulo Federal University, 2003)
BSc Biomedical Science 1st Class Hons (Paulista School of Medicine, Sao Paulo Federal University, 2000)