Dr Philip Woodward
Course Leader MA Education and Senior Lecturer in Education
Education and Inclusion
tel: 01905 542043
Philip is the Course Leader for the MA Education. He joined the School of Education at Worcester in 2015, as a Senior Lecturer in Education. He brings extensive experience from both further and higher education.
In the higher education sector, Philip spent twelve years as an Associate Lecturer for The Open University working on a range of multidisciplinary social science courses. He has also contributed to the University of Greenwich Initial Teacher Education programme as an Associate Lecturer.
In the further education sector Philip spent nineteen years teaching Sociology in colleges in both London and Southampton on a range of courses. He also has extensive experience of managing curriculum teams, UCAS applications and pastoral provision.
- EdD (Open) The significance of cultural and social capital in university choice: intra-class differences amongst working-class students
- MA in Philosophy (Kent)
- MA in Film & Television Studies (Westminster)
- MEd in Lifelong Learning (Open)
- BA (Hons) Sociology & Social Anthropology (Hull)
- PgCert in Digital Education (Edinburgh)
- PGCE (FE) (Greenwich)
Teaching & Research
- MAED4106 - Contemporary Issues in Education: Theory, Policy and Practice
- MAED4160 - Dissertation in Education
- MAED4703 - Enhancing Learning and Teaching Strategies
- EDST1108 – Inner City Education
- EDST3002 – Education Studies Independent Study
- EDST3114 - Disaffection in Education
- Sociology of Education
- Intra-class differences in university choice and access to university
- Perceptions of locality and the influence of social and cultural capital
- The influence of familial exposure to Access education
- Access to elite HEIs
- Critical Theory
Member of the British Sociological Association Bourdieu Study Group
Woodward, P. (2021) Location and locational capital: an examination of factors influencing choice of higher education applications by working-class students in a sixth-form college. Educational Review. ISSN Print: 0013-1911 Online: 1465-3397 (In Press)
Bradshaw, M., Jellis, M., Nyatanga, B., Renfree, A., Whitehouse, K. and Woodward, P. (2021) Supervising Master’s Dissertations: A guide to good practice. University of Worcester, Worcester.
Woodward, P. (2020) Higher Education and Social Inclusion: Continuing Inequalities in Access to Higher Education in England. In: Handbook on Promoting Social Justice in Education. Springer Handbooks . Springer International, Cham, Switzerland, pp. 1229-1251. ISBN 9783030146245 (print) 9783319740782 (online)
Woodward, P. (2017) Social Inclusion and Social Class. In: Understanding Inclusion: Core concepts, policy and practice. Routledge, Oxon, pp. 15-27. ISBN 9781138241688 Online: 9781315279893
Matheson, C. and Woodward, P. (2014) Post-compulsory Education: Further and Higher Education. In: An Introduction to the Study of Education (4th Edition). Routledge, Abingdon, Oxon, pp. 244-276. ISBN Paperback: 9780415623100 eBook: 978023105450