Work Related Driving

Work Related Driving

For information on travel expenses and claiming for travel, please refer to the Work Related Travel Policy tab

What is Work Related Driving?

The Health and Safety Executive in collaboration with the Department for Transport and the Royal Society for the Prevention of Accidents have published Guidance for Employers on “Driving at Work – Managing work-related road safety”. This guidance clearly states their view that the requirements of Section 2 of the Health and Safety at Work Act 1974 and Regulation 3 of the Management of Health and Safety at Work Regulations 1999 apply to all work related activities, including “work-related driving”.

The Guidance states that it is essential to have an effective policy which covers the issue of work-related driving, clearly defining responsibilities for both the employer and employee and the arrangements for implementation. The purpose of this document is to ensure that adequate controls are in place to protect both the institution and the individual and to provide a set of standards, which form a framework within which all parties may confidently operate.

The guidance recognises that there are distinct categories of employees who drive as part of their work activities:

  • Employees who are required to drive vehicles owned/leased by University of Worcester as an integral part of their employment (e.g. maintenance staff, campus services assistants etc)
  • Employees who use their own vehicles or hired vehicles for convenience on a casual basis, in order to undertake some element of their role within the institution (e.g. outreach work, business development, marketing etc.)

The guidance establishes a framework for dealing with situations that may arise as a consequence of its implementation, e.g. identifying persons who are unfit to drive or are no longer permitted to drive.

Why does the University need this information?

As an employer the University has a ‘duty of care’ in relation to its employees. As part of this we need to ensure compliance with the Health and Safety Executive Guidance for Employers for ‘Driving at Work – Managing work-related Road Safety’ and the current insurance sector standards.

We need to ensure adequate controls are in place to protect both the University and individual members of staff when driving, as recognised above, by means of a university work related driving policy.

Under the guidance the University is required to satisfy itself that employees are qualified to drive vehicles and are appropriately covered by insurance. Where an employee uses their own vehicle for work related travel the University under its duty of care needs ensure that the vehicle is roadworthy and properly maintained and that staff are covered for business use on their insurance. In order to meet these requirements the relevant original documents need to checked by the University.

What do I need to provide?

  • DVLA details (see below) and completed work related drivers questionnaire for all employees undertaking work related driving in their own or University owned or leased vehicles;
  • Completed work related questionnaire, DVLA details and certificate of insurance (confirming business use) for employees who use their own vehicles for work related driving.

 How often do I need to bring them in?

You need to complete the questionnaire annually. If you wish to make mileage claims then your insurance must be up-to-date on our records.

What happens if I incur penalty points on my license?

If you incur any penalty points during the course of the year we will need to update our records to reflect this. 

What happens if I don't submit this information?

Without this information we can't hire you a car, let you drive a University leased vehicle or pay your mileage claims.

What if I get diagnosed with a medical condition during the year?

If during the year you develop a medical condition which prevents you from driving, please let us know.

What to do when collecting hire cars and vans:

Please check the exterior of the vehicle thoroughly before you get in and drive. Make a note of any marks, scratches and dents and take photographs as evidence. These should be reported to your Departmental Administrator/ASU Manager before you leave the campus, who should then inform Purchasing,

What to do when returning hire cars and vans:

When finished with the vehicle, return it to car park C (Woodbury). Check the vehicle for any damage. Any damage should be reported to your Departmental Administrator/ASU Manager immediately, who should then inform Purchasing,

ALL damage to the vehicle must be photographed as evidence for any claims that might be made.

Should you be in a motor accident, or cause damage to the vehicle:

You will need to take comprehensive photographs of the damage and complete a Motor Accident Report Form, on the day of the damage occurring (or the next working day if it is in the evening/weekend) and send it to the Departmental Administrator or ASU Manager who booked the hire car. They will need to pass this information on immediately to Purchasing, If appropriate, the Insurance Officer will then report the accident to the Insurers and be given a reference number.

Please refer to the Vehicle Damage Procedure Checklist if in doubt.

DVLA details

In order to check that members of staff have a valid license and whether they have excessive points, an online check can be made here:

In order to do this check you will need your NI number, your driving license number and post code.

We require print outs of your Personal Details, Categories of Vehicles you can drive and Penalty Points. This will ensure that at that point in time we have the most current position. Alternatively you can take a screen shot of the three relevant screens and email a copy to Jude Wild in Finance.

If you have any queries related to work related driving please contact Jude Wild in Finance.