Extra Help for Full-time Students with Children or Adult Dependants

Extra Help for Full-time Students with Children or Adult Dependants


Childcare Grant

A non-repayable Childcare Grant may be available to full-time students with dependent children in accredited childcare as long as they are not in receipt of a childcare grant with Working Tax Credits.  Eligible students can still receive Child Tax Credits as detailed below.  The amount you will receive depends on your circumstances. In 2018/19, the amount of the grant is up to £164.70 per week based on 85% of actual childcare costs for one child only, or £282.36 per week for two or more children. 

If you want to apply for a Childcare Grant then tick the relevant box on your student finance application.  Student Finance England will then send you an application form CCG1 and if you are eligible, payments will be paid into your bank on the same three instalment dates as other student finance.

Later in the year they will send you a form CCG2 for you and your childcare provider to confirm your actual childcare costs. If the evidence shows the amount is different from your estimate then adjustments will be made.

NB: To avoid having to repay anything it’s important to give a realistic estimate of your childcare costs if possible and also to provide the evidence of actual costs promptly when asked.


Parents' Learning Allowance

The non-repayable Parents’ Learning Allowance provides help for course-related expenses to eligible students who have dependent children. The amount you will receive is based on your income and that of your dependents (including husband, wife or partner). In 2018/19, the maximum allowance paid is £1,669 a year. Applications should be made to Student Finance England. 


Child Tax Credit

Students with dependent children are eligible to apply for Child Tax Credit (CTC) from HM Revenue and Customs and most student income is disregarded for CTC purposes. Students receiving the maximum amount of CTC and no Working Tax Credit are entitled to free school meals for their children. To find out whether you are eligible to receive Child Tax Credit you should contact HM Revenue and Customs on 0345 300 3900 or see: www.gov.uk/child-tax-credit

Please note the government plans to replace Tax Credits with Universal Credits. For details see: www.gov.uk/universal-credit


Adult Dependants' Grant

If you have a partner or other adult, usually a member of your family, for example a partner in receipt of means tested benefits, who depends on you financially, then you may be eligible for an Adult Dependants’ Grant through Student Finance England. The amount you will receive depends on your income and that of your adult dependant. In 2018/19, the amount of the grant is up to £2,925 a year. 



Click on links to left of this page for more information