Care Leavers' Support in Higher Education

Care Leavers' Support in Higher Education


Student Loans and Grants

All eligible undergraduate students can apply for student loans and grants to provide them with an income whilst they are studying and also to pay their tuition fees.

For more information go to:

"Full-Time Undergraduate Financial Support"


"Part-time Student Funding"

Most Care Leavers, Students who have been homeless or who are estranged from their parents, are given priority where financial support is concerned and are likely to receive the maximum amount available.

Amounts of money awarded sometimes depend upon household income but any money earned by a full-time student is not taken into account and neither is the income of a foster parent. 


Grants and other Money that does not have to be Repaid

Some student financial support does not have to be repaid, for example the NHS grants for nursing and social work students, as well as Childcare Grants and Parents’ Allowances for students with dependent children.

For more information go to:

"Extra Help for Full-time Students with Children or Adult Dependants"

Scholarships, bursaries and grants from the University, educational trust funds and charities are also non-repayable unless otherwise stated. 

For more information go to:

"Bursaries and Scholarships" and "Trust Funds"


Access to Learning Fund (Hardship Fund)

The University’s hardship fund, known as the Access to Learning Fund, provides non-repayable financial help towards the financial shortfalls or emergencies that some students experience.

Care Leavers are one of the groups of students whose applications to the fund are given priority, as are applications from students who have been or who are currently homeless. As a rough guide, a Care Leaver who is single might receive at least £1000 a year from the fund and one with dependants would receive more.


Students with Disabilities

If a student has a disability which means that they have to spend extra money to study (for example items of specialist equipment, travel and other study-related costs) they can apply for help from the Disabled Students’ Allowance.


Educational Trust Funds and Charities

There are Trust Funds that have been set up to help students wanting to go to university but who may be at a financial disadvantage. They all have different criteria but are more likely to help applicants who may not have the same amount of support as the average student, e.g. a Care Leaver or homeless student.


Local Authority Support

Local Authorities also provide support for Care Leavers under age 25 wanting to continue their education. Many students are entitled to an adviser, a pathway plan, financial support, and help with accommodation fees and appropriate travel costs and in some cases this applies even if there is a gap between leaving care and returning to education.     

There is also a one off Care Leavers HE Bursary of £2,000 paid in instalments in each September of your course.

For more information on Local Authority support visit


Other Sources of Support from the University

Student Services at the University of Worcester has a substantial network of pastoral care for students if needed and has many years experience with supporting vulnerable students.

Within Student Services, the Student Support and Wellbeing Team provides practical and emotional support to students living in University accommodation, particularly for those who can’t go home at weekends or holidays. For example, social events are held, and promotions are organized on subjects such as health, emotional issues, or personal security. They help students make the transition to independent living.

Student Services also has a Counselling and Mental Health Service, and Chaplaincy.       

Click on links to left of this page for more information




"Stand Alone; supporting people that are estranged"

This is a Guide for students who are estranged from parents, or financially independent from parents, and applying for student finance.

Find a copy on the Money Advice bookcase in firstpoint

or click on link to left of this page to view