Household Bills & Additional Costs

Household Bills & Additional Costs


  • Household bills include energy bills for gas and electricity, water rates, TV licence and telephone and internet charges.

  • Check to see which bills are included in your rent - sometimes private landlords will cover the cost of bills.

  • Make sure you know what is and isn't covered when you choose your accommodation.


Household Bills


Gas and Electricity - as of May 2018, according to Ofgem, the average variable tariff for a dual fuel customer was £1,138 per year, but obviously this varies depending on the size of the property.

Water - the average annual household water and sewerage bill for 2018/19 is estimated at £405. If you have a water meter, you will be charged based on how much water you use. If not, you will pay a fixed amount each year.

TV Licence - If you have a television at University then you must pay an annual TV Licence of £150.50 per year (April 2018). You need to be covered by a TV Licence if you: watch or record any live TV online, download or watch BBC programmes on BBC iPlayer - live, catch up or on demand. This applies to any device and provider you use. If you have a joint tenancy, several TVs are covered by one licence, so you can share the costs, but if you have a separate tenancy a licence is needed for each set. If you go home for the summer holidays, you may be able to get a refund on your TV licence for the remaining months.

Broadband - most broadband connections will require a home phone line. You'll have to pay around £17 for this, plus the cost of your broadband package.  A standard broadband connection will cost around £5 a month. Faster fibre-optic connections cost more, but may be more suitable if there are lots of people sharing one connection.

Mobile Phone - think about your mobile deal.  It's normally cheapest to buy a package of minutes, texts and internet data each month. Shop around for the best deal, but read what you’re signing carefully, and factor those monthly fees into your budget.

Council Tax - full-time students are exempt from Council Tax unless living with non-student adults. Exemption certificates can be printed from the student SOLE page.  Where a student is sharing a house with a non-student adult the Council Tax bill for the household will be liable to a 25% reduction.


Shop around for the best deals on gas, electric, broadband, car insurance etc, by using comparison sites such as:


Additional Costs

  • Food & Other Essentials - Students spend an average of £108 per month
  • Travel - Students spend an average of £47 per month
  • Socialising - Students spend an average of £64 per month

figures taken from the "Student Money Survey 2018"


Find more information about Costs and Money Saving Tips in our Guide:

How much does it cost to go to University?