How Both Services Work

How Both Services Work

How Counselling works in this service
We do our best to offer you an initial appointment as soon as possible. There are normally emergency appointments available if we feel you need to be seen more immediately.

A counsellor will contact you to invite you for an initial longer (1hr 20mins) counselling session.  During this initial appointment your counsellor will enquire about your current issue and help you clarify what you would like to change.  Then you and your counsellor will jointly develop a plan to help you find a way through the issue you are facing.  This plan may include some self-help resources, psycho-educational courses or other sources of internal and external support.  After 4 weeks, during which time you'll have had the opportunity to try the strategies you identified on your plan, you will then be invited back for a short follow up appointment.  This 15 minute appointment will be to review your progress (what worked and what didn't work). 

You may find that this is enough counselling to get you back on track.  However some students may benefit from further individual counselling.  Further counselling sessions with a counsellor usually last up to 50 minutes and people see their counsellor for between 1-4 sessions, but sometimes counselling continues for further sessions.

The counsellors in this service aim to work in the way which best meets the needs of each individual and the issues they bring to counselling. We will discuss with you what you want to achieve in counselling, and decide together how we can work towards this.

Counselling is free to students of the university.

How Mental Health Advice works in this service
You will usually be offered an appointment within two weeks of making contact with the Service. If urgent, other arrangements can be made wherever possible.

Sessions will last up to one hour. The number of sessions will depend on your individual needs and will be discussed with you.

Your discussions with the Mental Health Advisor will be treated as confidential, and will only be broken in exception circumstances – these will be discussed with you during your first session.

Applications for Disabled Student’s Allowance (if you are eligible) will only be made at your request.

If you wish to make a complaint about either service, there are several ways: in the first instance, try to speak to your counsellor or mental health adviser directly; otherwise, you can speak to one of the Senior Counsellors, or the Head of Student Services. Alternatively, you can look on