Teaching & Research
Paul has particular expertise in the following areas:
Stress, Depression and Burnout in Primary and Secondary School Teachers
- Practitioner interests in helping Primary and Secondary School teachers to enhance health and psychological well-being by minimising stress, depression and burnout.
- Provision of individual psychological support packages to teachers in addressing stress, depression or burnout.
- Author of How to be a Successful Teacher: Strategies for Personal and Professional Development (ISBN: 978-1849200172).
- Author of Psychology for Teachers (ISBN: 978-1446211151).
- Author of The Psychology of Motorsport Success: How To Improve Your Performance With Mental Skills Training (ISBN: 978 1 84425 495 8).
- Practitioner interests in assisting racers to perform at optimal levels in all areas of motorsport.
- Provision of individual psychological support packages with racers from club level to world champion level, on two- and four-wheels.
- Advanced riding/driving and the psychology of road-users.
Cycling for Competition and Recreation:
- Practitioner providing sports psychology consultancy to a wide range of athletes, with particular expertise in applying psychological principles to cycle racing in time trials, road and velodrome.
- Provision of psychological support packages to members of the public wishing to increase their physical activity levels through recreational cycling.
- Former amateur time-trial cyclist, British Cycling Level 2 coaching qualified and keen cyclist, with Alpe D'Huez, Mont Ventoux, Col du Galibier; Col du Telegraphe and the Stelvio in his list of challenges ticked off his bucket list.
- Applied sport and exercise psychology
- Exercise as an anxiolytic or modulator in depression and stress
- Undergraduate Student Resilience within sports degree programmes (Barber, Castle, Roberts and Breeze)
- Ameliorating Emotional Burden in Personal Academic Tutoring (Williams, Castle, Augustus and Goodall)
Both projects are aimed at providing enhanced support to students and staff within the context of Higher Education.
Ongoing Research Interests:
Applied psychology of stress, depression and burnout; well-being and physical activity.
Buckler, S. and Castle, P.C. (2014) Psychology for Teachers. Chennai: Sage. (ISBN: 978-1446211151).
Purdy, L., Molnar, G., Griffiths, L. and Castle, P.C. (2014) Ilona: Tweeting through cultural adjustments.In K. Armour, Pedagogical Cases in Sport, Exercise and Movement (Volume 1): Physical Education and Youth Sport. London: Routledge. p222-234. (ISBN: 978-0-415-70245).
Castle, P.C. and Buckler, S.(2009) How to be a Successful Teacher: Strategies for personal and professional development. Chennai: Sage. ISBN-10: 1849200173
Castle, P.C. (2008) Psychology of Motorsport Success: How to improve your performance with mental skills training. Yeovil: Haynes. ISBN: 9 781844 254958
Castle, P.C., Incledon, V. and Waring, M. (2008) Are We Conveying The Message Appropriately? Adapting To Student Perceptions Of Effective Feedback, Journal of Hospitality, Leisure, Sport and Tourism Education, 7 (1), 89-98.
Castle, P.C. and Van Toller, S. (2002) Selected Psychophysiology studies of the Warwick Olfaction Research Group: 1970-2000. Aromachology Review, 11 (1), 10-13.
Ellard, D., Castle, P. C. and Mian, R. (2001) The Effect of a Short-Term Mental Stressor on Neutrophil Activation. International Journal of Psychophysiology, 41 (1), 93-100.
Castle, P. C., Van Toller, S. and Milligan, G. J. (2000) The Effect of Odour Priming on Cortical EEG and Visual ERP Responses. International Journal of Psychophysiology, 36 (2), 123-131.