Dr Karen Bill
Department of Marketing and Enterprise
Dr Karen Bill joined the Marketing and Enterprise Department, at Worcester Business School, in January 2019, having previously worked at the University in the School of Sport and Exercise Science as Principal Lecturer Enterprise and External Relations. Over the last ten years, Karen has been Associate Dean, Research and Enterprise, in a large West Midlands University, where she was responsible for the strategic and day-to-day operations for the Faculty’s enterprise and research activities.
During this time, she developed her expertise and national recognition in enterprise education, recognised by the National Centre for Entrepreneurship in Education as an International Entrepreneurship Educator Fellow. She is a recipient for a number of research and pedagogic grants around entrepreneurial skills and employability.
In 2015-16 she was Chair of Enterprise Educators UK (EEUK), the leading independent membership network for enterprise educators. She was subsequently recognised as a lifelong Fellow on behalf of EEUK for her strong focus on impact and increasing EEUK’s International standing. She was also elected to the Management Board for the Association of Business Schools (ABS) Small Business Charter and an Assessor for a number of business schools; as well as a Steering group member for HEFCE/UnLtd social enterprise. During this time she has developed a very successful property portfolio business.
Her current work in the Business School is leading on enterprise, entrepreneurship modules from Undergraduate to Executive MBA as well as strategic projects.
Teaching & Research
Her Doctoral thesis and research is based around emotional intelligence and undergraduate business start-up and educational interventions and innovations in entrepreneurship education.
MBA – Corporate Entrepreneurship
MBA Executive – Innovation
Undergraduate Cultivating the Entrepreneurial Mind-set
Innovation and Entrepreneurship
Doctoral Supervision Enterprise and Entrepreneurship Education
- Bill, K and Wang, Y. (2013) Examining Entrepreneurs performance using a role based performance scale. Practice paper presented at the ISBE conference in Cardiff, 12-13 November, 2013.
- Bill, K (2013) how am I doing? Providing a means to gauge student start-up performance. Paper presented at the International Entrepreneurship Educator Conference, Sheffield, 11-12th September 2013.
- Bill, K. (2012) An evaluation of the Uber-experiential, HE experiences of Nascent sport entrepreneurs. Peer Review Academic Paper presented at the ISBE conference in Dublin, 7-8 November, 2012.
- Bill, K. and Rhoden, C. (2011) Business Support in Sport – Strategy or Serendipity? Journal of Small Business and Enterprise Development, 18(4), 821-832.
- Bill, K (2011) Book Review: Sport, Physical Recreation and the Law. Managing Leisure. Volume 17. Taylor and Francis.
- West, J., Bill, K. and Martin, L. (2010) What constitutes ethics in sport and exercise science? Research Ethics Review, 6 (4)
- Bill, K (2010) CD: Video Diaries Graduate Sport Entrepreneurs. Oxford. Higher Education Academy. ISBN: 978-0-9556732-1-4
- Bill, K (2008) Sports Entrepreneurship Learning and Teaching CD. Oxford. Higher Education Academy. ISBN 978-0-9556732-0-7
- Martin, L., West, J. and Bill, K. (2008). Incorporating Problem-Based Learning Strategies to Develop Learner Autonomy and Employability Skills in Sports Science Undergraduates. JoHLSTE, 7 (1), 18 – 30
- Bill, K (2006) ‘Supporting Entrepreneurship: The development of Entrepreneurship Education within UK sport’, NCGE Working Paper Series 026/2006.
- Bill, K and Bowen-Jones, W (2005) Enhancing Enterprise, Entrepreneurship and Employability through PDP. (HEA HLST Employability Case-study) www.heacademy.ac.uk/assets/hlst/documents/projects/Employability/employ_bill.pdf
- Bill, K (May 2005) The prevalence and nature of age discrimination practices in UK sport and recreation organizations. British Association of Sports Law Journal.
- Bill, K and Dr Diann Eley (2003) ‘Dreams and Teams Young Leaders Project’ The final Report. Prepared for the British Council and Youth Sport Trust.
- C Rhodes, K Bill, K Biscomb, A Nevill, S Bruneau (2002) ‘Widening Participation in Higher Education: support at the further education/higher education interface and its impact– a research report’. Journal of Vocational Education and Training, Volume 54, Number 1, 2002)
- Summerfield, K and White, A (1989) Korfball - A model of Egalitarianism: Sociology of Sport Journal (Vol 6, No, 2, 1989).
Books and chapters:
- Bill, K and Gardiner, S (2013) ‘Sports Law’ In Beech, J and Chadwick, S ‘The Business of Sport’. Pearson Publishing. 2nd Edition. (A Textbook for Undergraduate Sports/Business Students)
- Bill, K (March 2009) Ed, Sports Management. Essex: Learning Matters.
- Bowen-Jones, W., and Bill, K. (2009) in Buswell, J. (Ed) Enhancing Student-Centred Learning. Oxford: Joint HLST/BMAF publication.
- Bill, K and Jones, W. B (2006) Enhancing Enterprise, Entrepreneurship and Employability through PDP’ In Enhancing Employability in Hospitality, Leisure, Sport and Tourism. Oxford: HEA.
- Bill, K. (2008) Enhancing Enterprise and Employability through PDP. In Becket, N and Kemp, P (Eds) Developing Graduate Employability: case studies in hospitality, leisure, sport and tourism. Oxford: Threshold Press.
- Bill, K and Pepper, A (2005) ‘Tourism Law’, In Beech, J and Chadwick, S (2005) The Business of Tourism’ Pearson Publishing; Textbook for Undergraduate Tourism Students.
- Bill, K (2004) ‘Sports Law’ In Beech, J and Chadwick, S ‘The Business of Sport’. Pearson Publishing. (A Textbook for Undergraduate Sports/Business Students)
Education Doctorate –Entrepreneurship and Emotional Intelligence
CPE Law Degree
MSc Recreation Management
BA Sport Studies (with Commendation)
Post Graduate Certificate in Further and Higher Education
Senior Fellow of the Higher Education Academy (SFHEA)
Member of the Institute of Knowledge Transfer (MInstKT)
Previous External Examiner:
Sheffield Hallam University