Senior Lecturer - Department for Primary Education
tel: 01905 542628
Andrea has taught in a range of primary schools across Dudley and Sandwell for ten years, undertaking additional roles as Sandwell Leading Maths Teacher and Dudley Maths Coach, supporting colleagues in developing skills in teaching primary maths. She worked at the University of Birmingham delivering the maths module of the PGCE Primary course before joining the University of Worcester as a Senior Lecturer in Primary Education, teaching on the computing modules for the Postgraduate and Undergraduate Primary courses.
Andrea is passionate about the cross-curricular use of technology, with a particular focus on making effective use of cutting edge technology in teaching and learning. Andrea also enjoys teaching on the Professional Studies Undergraduate course, using the experience she gained in school to support the delivery of pedagogy and management to Undergraduate year 2 trainees.
The focus of Andrea's Masters dissertation was the use of tablets (iPads etc) in teaching and learning. She worked with schools to research the wider benefits of using technology-enhanced learning, including its use in embedding Assessment for Learning. She made use of the findings of this research to work further with schools and Undergraduate students as Andrea is passionate about strengthening trainees' professional profiles, to support employability.
Andrea recently collaborated on a research project, funded by the University of Worcester's Learning and Teaching fund, continuing to ensure the very best outcomes for the University's trainee teachers when on placement.
- M.A. Education (Distinction) - University of Worcester
- B.Ed. (Hons) 1st Class KS2/3 ICT with Distinction in the Practice of Teaching - Newman University Birmingham
- 2013 Postgraduate Certificate: Teaching and Learning in Higher Education
- 2013 Fellow, Institute of Higher Education
Teaching & Research
- Technology Enhanced Learning
- A dialogic approach to Professional Studies
- Enhancing Student Experience
- The National Centre for Excellence in the Teaching of Mathematics (NCETM) member since 2011
- The Association for Information Technology in Teacher Education (ITTE) - member since 2012
- National College for Teaching and Leadership (NCTL) - member since June 2013
- Higher Education Academy - Fellow (member since 2013)
Burden, K., Leask, M. and Younie, S. (2014) Teaching and Learning with ICT in the Primary School. Oxon: Routledge
University of Worcester Teaching and Learning Conference – Student as Partners Poster (2017)
University of Worcester - One School Many Roles Conference (2017)
University of Worcester Educational Enhancement Society - Behaviour Management (2017)
University of Worcester Teaching and Learning Conference – The role of tablet technology in undergraduate teacher training to promote teaching and learning of pupils with SEND (2016)
University of Worcester Teaching and Learning Conference – Student as Partners Poster (2015)
Children and Families First Conference – Undergraduate Course Showcase (2015)
Continuous Professional Development Presentations
Forestry Commission England - Digital Technology and Outdoor Learning (2017)
University of Worcester Institute of Education Staff Development Day - Market Place Poster Presentation ‘Student Engagement Through Partnership’ (2016)
- STEM Ambassador (2012)
- CEOP Ambassador (2017)