Get involved in the STEM agenda! Here are some websites with ideas and resources that may help you to link into STEM…
- The NHS are Modernising Scientific Careers with the aim of providing accessible careers information to young people about healthcare science education programmes and general careers. The first flyer to be released ‘Scientists make a difference’ and A Practitioner Training Programme film is now live on the NHS YouTube channel. This includes interviews with current students on these programmes.
- I’m a Scientist Get me out of here! Free online events where school students get to meet and interact with scientists. They are free X Factor-style competitions between scientists, where the students are the judges. Students challenge the scientists over intense, fast-paced online live CHATs. They then ASK the scientists all the questions they want to, and VOTE for their favourite scientist to win a prize of £500 to communicate their work with the public.
Resources and useful links (Taken from: Success with STEM, Howarth and Scott, 2013, Routledge)
- Biochemical Society: School Resources
- BBSRC: Resources for Schools including ideas for Nuffield Research placements, Biology in the Real World.
- British Science Association: Opportunity to register for resources for British Science Week.
- British Science Association: CREST Award Scheme
- Getting Practical: website of the completed 'Improving Practical Work in Science' Project.
- I’m a Scientist, Get Me Out of Here: free online events where school students get to meet and interact with scientists.
- Institute of Physics: resources for students and teachers; support from Regional Coordinators; Physics activity pack for STEM Clubs.
- National STEM Learning Centre: UK’s largest collection of STEM teaching and learning resources.
- OPAL surveys: include Soil and earthworm; Air; Water and Biodiversity, projects with potential for CREST Awards.
- Planet Science: Science and Technology resources for under and over 11s, plus ideas for teachers and parents.
- Royal Horticultural Society: organises Campaign for School Gardening; supplies free start-up kits to schools.
- Royal Society of Chemistry: resources for students and teachers; support from Regional Coordinators; funding and awards.
- Salters’ Chemistry: Chemistry festivals, e-newsletters, posters to advertise your Chemistry Club.
- Science and Plants for Schools: resources for students of all ages, teachers, technicians and teaching assistants, including newsletters, grants etc.
- Scientists in Sport: project activity packs, supported by GSK, tailored to fit CREST.
- Society of Biology, Education: careers and competitions.
- The Royal Institution of Great Britain: Education resources.
- The Science Museum, London: resources for schools.
- Stimulating Physics Network: Free workshops for specialist and non-specialist teachers of Physics.
- Windows to the Universe: Scientists in Schools section has checklists to help make visits effective; other sections offer resources.