Key features of this course:
- You will be studying on a four-year course, entering at undergraduate level but graduating with a masters-level award in Touring Theatre. This additional higher level qualification, with its employability focus, will help you stand out in the competitive theatre industry. Most students will qualify for student loan support for all 4 years of the course.
- You will gain all the skills and understanding you need to set up your own touring theatre company, or establish yourself as a solo practitioner/performer, with a body of work ready to take on tour at the end of the course.
- This is the first course of its type in the UK and focuses on hands-on experience of touring theatre and related business, financial and marketing skills.
- You will make exciting and high quality performance work for a range of venues, organisations, communities, festivals and events throughout the four years.
- The course has been planned and will be delivered in collaboration with theatres, venues, touring networks, companies, directors and producers throughout the West Midlands region. Throughout the course you will be encouraged and assisted in developing professional networks that will help you in your career.
112 UCAS Tariff points (Single Hons).
We also welcome mature students, for whom there is a negotiated acknowledgement of relevant prior experience as equivalent to qualifications.
Acceptance on the course will be dependent on an interview and audition process in which we will be looking for studentís creative ability, commitment, adaptability and collaborative skills alongside performance skills.
This course is offered as a Single Honours only course. It may be possible to transfer into this course at the end of the first or second year from the BA Drama & Performance, or from other Drama courses at other Universities, subject to discussion and audition process. However, it is not possible to join the course for the final (fourth year) only.
- Course content
You will learn how to
The first year of the course will give you a thorough grounding in theatre practice and understanding of different styles of performance, as well as introducing you to the specific skills and knowledge necessary to tour your own work.
The second and third years will focus on making work for touring to different contexts, under the guidance of a director, at the same time as widening your skills in different aspects of theatre, including technical theatre, digital media, playwriting, acting, movement and physical theatre.
The fourth year enables you to make your own original work for touring, with specialist support from industry experts, and present the work at a range of public venues.
Throughout the course, you will also be developing skills and experience in all aspects of the business planning and management necessary to run your own independent theatre company.
Facilities & networks
- Two state of the art equipped Drama Studios with sound and video editing suites.
- Touring lighting, sound, and production management equipment.
- A range of venues, organisations & networks for touring to.
- Expert tuition from industry professionals.
This course involves extensive real world experience of researching, preparing, producing, promoting and performing in a number of touring theatre projects in a variety of professional and community venues. It will equip you with all the skills necessary (including administration, organisational, technical, financial, marketing, tour booking, outreach, workshop facilitation as well as performance skills) necessary to launch yourself into a career as a touring theatre company or solo practitioner.
- How to apply
Apply through UCAS
Single Honours: MTheatre†in Touring Theatre (integrated masters) - UCAS code W440
UCAS is the central organisation through which applications are processed for entry onto full-time undergraduate courses in Higher Education in the UK.How to apply