The University promotes sustainable travel for students, staff and visitors. We have car share and bike loan scheme, cycle to work and subsidised bus tickets. Academic year long bus tickets for staff and students' valid on all First Bus Worcester City services cost £110 and 10 journey e-tickets are available. These e- tickets are not time limited, can be used on all Citywide First Bus.
The cycle to work scheme is being offered by the University of Worcester to promote healthier journeys to work and reduce environmental pollution. The scheme is open to all University employees providing a tax emption to staff for the hire of cycles and cyclist safety equipment.
Transport related carbon emissions currently account for 7,817 CO2e tonnes during academic year 2016/17 and is the second largest contribution to the university’s total carbon emissions. Many travel carbon savings have already been achieved through the 2008-2013 Travel Plan. The 2013-2018 Travel Plan has identified many new activities to help us achieve the following targets.
Our transport targets include:
- 25% reduction absolute tCO2e emissions from staff and students’ commuting to University on a daily basis by 2020 from a baseline 2010/11 of 6,843 tCO2e
- 5% reduction in the tC02e emissions from travel between students’ homes and the University by 2018 from a baseline 2010/11 of 2,891 tCO2e
- 20% reduction in the percentage of staff travelling by car alone to work by 2018 - i.e. a reduction from 55% in 2012 to 44% by 2018
- 20% reduction in the percentage of students travelling alone by car to the University by 2018 - i.e. a reduction from 24% in 2011 to 19% by 2018
- 10% reduction in the percentage of students travelling alone by car between their home address to term time address by 2018
How are we going to achieve these targets?
- Implement automatic number plate recognition technology on key university sites by summer 2018.
- Review Parking Policy to develop new mechanisms for encouraging fewer car journeys to campus, by Summer 2018
- Extend the Bike Loan scheme to include 50 electric bikes by Spring 2018
- Develop department pool bike pilot scheme, whereby departments have access to a bikes for intersite travel.
- Consider the introduction of pool cars for staff use in February 2018 once new travel management contract introduced.
Download our full current qualitative and quantitative targets and progress against targets from Carbon Management & Targets page.