Senior Lecturer in Secondary English
Institute of Education
tel: 01905 855045
Louise was appointed as a Senior Lecturer in Secondary English in September 2013. She has twenty years of working in a range of secondary schools in a variety of roles. She has worked at Head of Department level and more recently spent ten years working as an English Adviser in a local authority. This afforded her the opportunity of working in a wide array of secondary schools, special schools and primary schools.
She has worked with English teachers on improving teaching, learning and rates of pupil progress. Some particular areas of interest are; the use of drama in the English classroom and the explicit teaching of speaking and listening.
As well as working with English departments, she also has much experience working across the curriculum on literacy and assessment for learning; looking particularly at how the two are intertwined. This has allowed her insight into the significance of strong pedagogy which underpins a successful curriculum and has fuelled her desire to work with trainees on the Post Graduate route in Education.
Most recently, she has enjoyed working with colleagues in KS2 at primary schools and supporting primary and secondary teachers in fostering closer network relationships to improve teaching and learning.
MA in Leadership and Management in Education University of Wolverhampton 2006
PGCE in Secondary English Birmingham University 1994
BA Hons in Humanities Bristol Polytechnic 1992
- Teaching & Research
Teaching & Research
- The impact of drama strategies in English lessons and how the teacher commentary can link to progress in reading and writing
- Teaching of speaking and listening and its links to writing
- How the literacy of subjects is taught in secondary schools and its potential impact of rates of progress
- The potential of literacy transition for teachers in primary and secondary
- How explicit teacher commentary can enhance learning and rates of progress
- Literacy teaching in secondary schools
- The teaching of speaking and listening
- Professional Bodies
Member of the National Association of Advisers in English (NAAE)
Member of the UK Literacy Association (UKLA)
Member of the National Association for the Teaching of English (NATE)
Horton, S., Beattie, L. and Bingle, B. (2015) Lessons in Teaching Reading Comprehension in Primary Schools. London, Sage. (ISBN10: 1473916143)
- External Responsibilities