Senior Lecturer in Human Nutrition
Institute of Science & the Environment
tel: 01905 54 2186
- Registered Nutritionist (Food)
- Fellow of the Higher Education Academy
Nutrition: Do it well and it can be one of the most powerful ways to maintain your health. Do it badly and it can poison you slowly over the decades.
About 80% of people in the UK die from diseases associated with poor-lifestyle choices; As a registered nutritionist my interests centre on translational education; taking the scientific knowledge on how lifestyle and the modern environment impact on personal wellbeing and disseminating it to the general population through personal projects, but also via a large number of passionate and intelligent students who I have been lucky enough to teach during my time at the University of Worcester.
- Doctorate in Molecular Biology and Biochemistry from the University of Manchester Institute of Science and Technology (1991)
- B.Sc. Honours Degree in Molecular Biology and Biochemistry from the University of Durham (1987)
- Undergraduate Teaching
- BIOS1009: Introduction to Human Nutrition (Module Lead)
- BIOS2107: Integrated Human Metabolism (Module Lead)
- BIOS2108: The Food Supply Chain (Module Lead)
- BIOS2200: Project and Career Development
- BIOS3300: Development of Evaluative Skills for Research
- BIOS3301: Food Safety (Module Lead)
- BIOS3302: Nutrition through the Human Lifecycle (Module Lead)
- BIOS3303: Public Health Nutrition (Module Lead)
- Postgraduate Teaching
None at present.
- Applied Nutrition for Professional Practice (ANPP4001/ANPP4002/ANPP4003)
Kamada, I., Trueman, L., Bold, J. and Mortimore, D. (2011) The impact of breakfast in metabolic and digestive health. Gastroenterology and Hepatology From Bed to Bench. 4(2):76-85
Trueman, L. and Bold, J. (2010) Gastro-Intestinal Imbalance: part 1 the gastrointestinal tract – use and abuse. In Nicolle, L. and Woodriff, B. ed. Biochemical Imbalances in Disease. London:Singing Dragon
Jones, MG, Collin, HA, Tregova, A., Trueman, L., Brown, L., Cosstick, R., Hughes, J., Milne, J., Wilkinson, MC., Tomsett AB. and Thomas B. (2007) Invited Mini-Review: The Biochemical and Physiological Genesis of Alliin in Garlic. Medicinal and Aromatic Plant Science and Biotechnology 1 21-24
Huchette, O., Arnault, I., Auger, J., Bellamy, C., Trueman, L., Thomas, B., Ochatt, S.J. and Kahane, R. (2007) Genotype, nitrogen fertility and sulphur availability interact to affect flavour in garlic (Allium sativum L.) J. Hort. Sci. and Biotech., 82:1, 79-88
Eady, C.C.; Trueman, L.; McCallum, J.; Shaw, M.; Pither-Joyce, M.; Davis, S.; Reader, J. (2005). Trangenic onions with reduced alliinase activity: biochemical and molecular assessment. Acta Horticulturae. 688:4,181-190
White, P.J. Bowen, H.C. Parmaguru, P. Fritz, M. Spracklen, W.P. Spiby, R.E. Meacham, M.C. Mead, A. Harriman, M. Trueman, L.J. Smith, B. M. Thomas, B.. Broadley, M.R. (2004) Interactions between selenium and sulphur nutrition in Arabidopsis thaliana. J. Exp. Bot. 55, 404.
Collin, H.A. Hughes, J. Tregova, A. Milne, J.G.C. van der Werff, G. Wilkinson, M. Jones, M.G. Tomsett, A.B.. Cosstick, R. Trueman, L. Crowther, T. Brown, L. Thomas B. (2005) Sulfur Biochemistry Of Garlic: The Biosynthesis Of Flavor Precursors Acta Horticulturae 688: 4,165-172