Outdoor Activity, Sport & Exercise Supervisor
Institute of Sport & Exercise Science
tel: 01905 622223
Two years old and Dominic first stepped foot in a canoe on the River Wye in Wales. Twenty three years later he continues to do so, however he finds himself paddling a much greater array of rivers and white water. With an ever growing passion for the outdoors and all it has to offer, canoeing and kayaking is a major part of his life, both personally and professionally. Dom has 10 years’ experience working in the Outdoor Education and Activity setting with a wealth of knowledge on what is involved in running a centre and leading safe adventures activities for all in a mixture of environments.
• 4 Star kayak award
• 3 Star canoe award
• Stand up paddle board module Instructor
• Level 2 kayak and canoe coach
• Training level 3 kayak and canoe coach
• Royal Life Saving Society national pool lifeguard trainer assessor + AED
• Royal Life Saving Society national water safety management programme Instructor
• Royal Life Saving Society open water lifeguard trainer assessor
• Foundation safety and rescue training
• White water safety and rescue training
• Advance white water safety and rescue training
• ATEO air rifle range marshal
• Archery GB instructor
• Outdoor first aid, aquatic first aid and mental health first aid and awareness
• Awareness of child abuse and neglect foundation
- Scope of Role at the University
Scope of Role at the University
Supervise the day to day running and management of Lakeside Campus, Outdoor Sport and Activity.
Ensure staff are up to date with national governing body qualifications and training. Manage the operational procedures of Lakeside Campus, making sure it is adhering to policy, procedure and legislation. Plan and programme activities for University groups and external visitors. Run sessions and courses such as RLSS national water safety management, kayak and canoe courses and RLSS pool lifeguard qualifications and open water lifeguard courses.
Coaching of kayaking and canoeing continues as a personal pastime and interest spending days and weeks away in places such as North Wales, Scotland and sometime abroad with groups and individuals helping them improve and just get out on the water. when time commits getting involved and running water based expeditions is something Dom hugely enjoys.
- Industry Background
10 years working in the Outdoor Education and Activity Setting.
16 years’ experience personally paddling in a white-water and expedition environment.
5 years’ management experience of an activity centre.